The Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders Regimental Museum
Stirling Castle is the spiritual home of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
Now part of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, the regiment has 161 battle honours to its credit, and 16 individuals have been awarded the Victoria Cross, Britain’s highest award for valour.
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise’s) were formed in 1881. They were an amalgamation of the Argyllshire Highlanders (the 91st Foot) and the Sutherland Highlanders (the 93rd). Stirling Castle became the regiment’s home depot, recruiting from the surrounding area.
The Regiment in Action
The regiment and its antecedents served in conflicts around the world, including the Zulu Wars in southern Africa, the Peninsular War in Spain and Portugal, and the Crimean War in Ukraine.
The creation of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders in 1881 saw the two regiments march forward together – first to the Boer War in South Africa, and then to some of the fiercest trench warfare of the First World War, where almost 7,000 died. In the Second World War, the regiment saw action in Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and the Far East.
The regimental museum is in the King’s Old Building, originally built in the 1490s as a residence for James IV. On display is a history of distinguished military service reaching back over 200 years. Displays include the regimental silver, uniforms and weapons, bagpipes and drums and other memorabilia. Museum highlights