This month we’re looking at summer berries and fruits as part of the Year of Food and Drink. We asked John McWhirter, head chef in the castle, for a delicious berry recipe and he didn’t fail to deliver!
Scottish Raspberry & Drambuie Cranachan Cream
30g pinhead oatmeal
1 ripe pear
20g heather honey
400ml double cream
40g Scottish raspberry jam
20g white chocolate shavings
1 sprig of mint
1. Toast the oatmeal in a dry non-stick pan. When ready, it’ll smell rich & nutty. Be careful not to burn.
2. Lightly fold the raspberries and Drambuie into the raspberry jam.
3. Peel and core the pear, discarding the peelings and core, then grate the rest of pear into the honey.
4. Crush the shortbread using a robot coupe, or alternatively, put into a tea towel and batter with a rolling pin.
5. Lightly whip the cream, add in the toasted oatmeal, pear and honey. Carry on whipping and when it holds soft peaks, it is ready.
6. Use 4 dessert rings or glasses to serve. Place the shortbread crumbs in first, then use half the cream mix between the 4 servings. Split the raspberry mix between the 4 servings, making sure to save a few of the raspberries for the garnish. Now top with the rest of the cream mix then the white chocolate shavings and gently press. Top with a sprig of mint.
Sounds like just the thing for those summer evenings! Share your pictures with us on Facebook or Twitter and use #HSEat.